Wild Game Cookbook- Vagabond Venison

Recently I was pursusing The Dover Publications site looking for vintage clip art. I noticed that they had some cookbooks in their online catalog. Somehow it had escaped me that they published cook books. While at The Cook Book Store today I picked up the Wild Game Cookbook by John A. Smith, 1986. I am sending this to my brother-in-law who lives in Alaska. No venison around here. After getting home and looking at it I see that is a Dover book.
This recipe certainly makes sure that none of your game goes to waste:

Vagabond Venison

1 deer heart
1 deer tongue
1 tablespoon lard or bacon grease
2 medium onions, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 can mushroom caps with brine
2 tablespoons sherry
1 tablespoon dark rum
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Cut heart and tongue into bite sized pieces. Melt the lard in a Dutch oven. Saute the onions until golden. Add the heart and tongue and stir for a minute. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add the mushroom caps with brine, sherry and rum. Stir and cover. Cook over medium heat for 35 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2-3 hours until tender. Sprinkle with paprika and serve hot over noodles.

No comments: