Lemons A Country Garden Cookbook- Pappardelle with Lemon and Asparagus


This recipe is from one of the books my husband bought the other day- Lemons A Country Garden Cookbook by Christopher Idone. It is full of lovely photos of lemons in various settings and the recipe photos are very attractive also. It feature lemon recipes from every dinner course. This recipe seems like a delicious Spring meal. Lemons are so versatile I wish I had planted a tree in my yard years ago. Instead I have an orange tree that never produces anything but sucker shoots and a half dead miniature grapefruit tree.

Pappardelle with Lemon and Asparagus

"No peeling, no fuss. When pencil asparagus are available at the market, this makes for an easy pasta supper."
1 pound pencil-thin asparagus, approximately 32 asparagus
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 pound fresh or dried pappardele
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Zest of 1 lemon, cut into julienne
Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Cutting on the diagonal, trim the tough ends of the asparagus. Cut the asparagus into 3 or4 even pieces on the diagonal. In a nonreactive kettle of lightly salted boiling water, cook the asparagus for 2 minutes or until just crisp. Save water for pasta. Blanch in cold running water and drain.
In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter and cream. Allow to cook at low simmer.
Cook the pappardelle in the kettle of salted boiling water until al dente and drain well. While the pasta is boiling, heat the oil in a large skillet and add the blanched asparagus. Add the hot cream mixture and fold in the lemon juice. Season with pepper. Add the drained pasta to the sauce and toss well. Divide among 4 or 5 warm soup plates and sprinkle with juilienned zest. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese. Serves 4 to 5.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you for your lovely comment and did you get to make the wreath? any way I have had you on my mind when I was out thrift shopping I picked up a few of the community cookbooks - you know the ones that are small town made with Mabel's favorite chicken or grandma's casserole. send me your address If you would like them and I'll put them in the mail--pat ( patmadolo@yahoo.com) have a nice holiday weekend. I'm off now to an estate sale ...pat