Pillsbury's Cooking with Ground Beef- beef and cabbage pita's

This recipe is from Cooking with Ground Beef, a Pillsbury booklet from 2000. I like the sound of it and am going to make it this weekend.It reminds me of stuffed beef and cabbage buns my Mom made when I was a child. I will use ground turkey and I think I'll add a generous amount of black pepper.

Beef and Cabbage Pitas

2 slices bacon, chopped
1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
4 cups purchased coleslaw blend
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon water
3 (6 or 7-inch pita breads, cut in half heated
Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add ground beef; cook 5 to 6 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add coleslaw blend and onion. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until ground beef is thoroughly cooked and cabbage is tender, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and water; blend well. Stir vinegar mixture into beef and cabbage mixture. Cook until thoroughly heated. Spoon mixture into warm pita halves.

No comments: